CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, March 13, 2010

~baby blocks

When I saw the amazing blocks over at How Does She?, I will be honest... I fell in love. Fell hard...
I wanted to make my cousin, Tracy, blocks for her baby shower. BTW... I babysat Tracy. Changed her diapers. Fed her. I... am... old... Anyway! Back to the blocks!

I started with 2"x2" blocks from Michael's.

This was a big job, so I had to hire some great help! This is Ethan, painting his heart out!

Look at this concentration!

I will be honest. These blocks really soaked up the paint! I guess I should have primed them...

After getting them all painted, I sanded down the edges and corners.

Then I went over the blocks with Ralph Lauren glaze (Smoke). This was my first time using this product... not sure if I did it right! :)

I wanted just a touch more brown, so I dabbed the edges with a distressing ink.

I cut out the squares to cover the blocks and then distressed the edges of these, too.

Next, I ran them through the Xyron sticker maker.
All that was left was sticking the squares on! I cut out the letters and stuck them on with Mod Podge.

Aerial view...

Side view...
Tracy chose these colors for her nursery. I hope they all match!

I just love that N...
Once I got started, this project wasn't hard to finish. I hope Baby Carson likes them!

















19 comments:

  1. So creative! And such a handsome helper :)
    I'm showing a way to display baby blocks in my post for Met Monday.
    Jane T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are so cute, I love the paper and how you rounded the edges

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to see this distressing ink. Can you take a pic of it and you using it? Isn't that blue pretty?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your blocks turned out really great! I love the colors on the papers you used!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so cute! i saw these too and have been wanting to make some.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those are so cute!! They came out so so well!! What a great helper you had there. How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute! I have a boy named Carson- I love that name! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the distressing on the paper edges and on the block edges - it makes them look well loved.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that is such a cute idea! I would love for you to link up to check me out saturdays www.iamonly1woman.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How cute! I have a ton of these blocks my hubby picked up at a work site, and have been looking for a way to use them. Thanks!
    Cami

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those are SUPER cute! Come stop by my Favorite Things Friday Party if you would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love them. Great job. Thanks for sharing with Made it Monday! Jules

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love this! great job!

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft On Thursday at Life As Lori... Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those blocks are so cute. I love the paper you used. And your distressing looks great!

    Thanks so much for linking up to my party! I really appreciate it!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very cute! Baby Carson will love them. It's nice you got your son in on the project too!

    Thanks for linking up to Make it Yours Day at My Backyard Eden!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sure baby Carson will love them! I'm sure that baby Carson's Mommy will love them even more!!

    Too cute! Seriously, the blues, the patterns, everything spot on!

    Thanks for linking to Creative Cats!

    XOXO,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails