CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 15, 2010

~DIY magnet board

My sweet sister in law @ Therapy for Roses made me the most adorable magnet board several months ago. So I had to try one for myself! (She is so talented!)
I started with this metal picture from the Dollar Tree. Hmm... can this fantastic picture be improved???
Bye, bye cow! I started by giving Bessy a thick coat of Mod Podge.
I covered the front with my choice of scrapbook paper and wrapped the edges around back for a clean look. I sealed these edges with more Mod Podge.

I distressed the edges with my new favorite color, frayed burlap. It comes out as a light brown. (no red here!)

Then I added a coordinating strip to the bottom (using Mod podge) and distressed the strip.

I covered the entire board with the 1st coat of Mod Podge.

Using my storybook cartridge, I cut out my letters and ran them through my Xyron sticker maker. (LOVE that little thing!)

I placed the letters at the bottom and added a 2nd coat of Mod Podge. I also punched holes in the top. (I used a Crop A Dile for this)

I found a blue ribbon I had left over from another projects. This ribbon matched perfectly! I ran it through the sticker maker.

I placed the ribbon between the main board and the stip to act as a border. I glued a button on with twine tied to it. No purpose here... I just thought it might be cute! Then I went over the name one last time.
Here is the finished board! This is going to my son's 1st Grade teacher. I hope she likes it! I tied some cute burlap-like ribbon to the top to had the magnet board from.

These magnets were super easy! I took plastic tiles and printed off some cute pictures of his teacher (facebook is wonderful on many levels!). I used Mod Podge to glue the picture to the tile, added another coat to the back to seal, then placed a stickable magnet to the back. Done!

Originally, my plan was to have these ready for my kids' teachers for Valentine's Day. Oops! Well, I guess these will be gifts for "Just Because" Day. (Those are the best gifts anyway, right?)















21 comments:

  1. That is too stinkin' cute! What a great gift idea. I'm sure she'll love it!

    I have a craft on my blog for photo gem magnets. They would look super cute on the board too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super cute, I love that paper! Thanks for linking to Motivate Me Monday!
    Kaysi

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cute! Modge Podge is one of my most favorite items!
    http://extremepersonalmeasures.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable! And uses one of my favorite new mediums, mod podge!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea for teachers! Thanks for sharing. I've posted a link.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. I never thought to give those metal signs a second glance!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks everyone! And thanks, Sheri, for posting my link! I love your site!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really cute! I love the papers you chose!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. VERY VERY CUTE!!!!
    That gives me inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The papers came from Michael's in the scrapbooking section, where you buy the individual sheets. Thank y'all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so cute--I would not have thought to use one of those metal signs--I am going to look for some today! Thanks for linking up.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I love it.

    Thanks for joining Get Your Craft on Thurs. at Life As Lori

    Please join me next week for another great party!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness. That is so super cute. I actually have something like that I have been wanting to do something with.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You just found that metal at the dollar store? That's awesome! Cute magnet board you've created from it! Nicely done! Thanks for the link!

    Andy
    Poppies at Play

    ReplyDelete
  15. what a thoughtful, useful, cute gift idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. How cute is that? Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is impressive! I cannot believe that started out as dollar store art.

    And by the way, as a preschool teacher I can say I would love to receive one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a cute idea for a magnet board!

    Thank you so much for linking up with the Talented Tuesday link party at My Frugal Family, which is hosted every Tuesday. Please feel free to stop back in every week and post your newest projects!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know Mrs. Garcia will love it! What a great gift! Thanks so much for coming over again and linking up at Make it Yours day!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! that's a really great idea, I'm sure the teacher will love it!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails