CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, April 18, 2011

~Sand Dollar Easter Craft and Lesson

During Spring Break, one of my students went to the beach and his family came home with over 100 sand dollars.  I know! 

She asked if she could send in some for our classroom.  "Of course!" was my response.  I knew there was a sand dollar story that helped teach the Easter Story.  The timing for this project was perfect!

We started with our plain sand dollars.  I read the following poem:
The Legend of the Sand Dollar


There's a lovely little legend
that I would like to tell,
of the birth and death of Jesus,
found in this lowly shell.

If you examine closely,
you'll see that you find here,
four nail holes and a fifth one,
made by a Roman's spear.

On one side the Easter lily,
its center is the star,
that appeared unto the shepherds
and led them from afar.

The Christmas Poinsettia
etched on the other side,
reminds us of His birthday,
our happy Christmastide.

Now break the center open,
and here you will release,
the five white doves awaiting,
to spread Good Will and Peace.
This simple little symbol,
Christ left for you and me,
to help us spread His Gospel,
through all Eternity.
Author Unknown



 I gave each student a set of water colors.  When we started, we realized that the sand dollars really soaked up the paint!  BUT...


 If you dipped the paintbrush in water and spread it over the paint, it would lighten a bunch.  So now I think I have all the colors I want to use. :)


 This is mine and Jessica's, my student aide.  I know!  I stinkin' love her shade of pink!


 And here are a few samples from around my classroom.  As you can see, some of them got a little happy with the water colors!  But actually, in person, they weren't that dark and the colors showed up more.
Hey!  Beauty is totally in the eye of the beholder!


Happy Easter! 

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails